How Long Does Laser Hair Removal Take?
The appeal of using lasers for hair removal over other options starts with how long laser hair removal lasts. It provides permanent results in all those areas you find so annoying to shave, pluck, sugar or wax. This includes the face, legs, arms, underarms, back, chest and bikini area.
Depending on how much hair you have to remove, where it is and how dark it is, the time it takes for laser hair removal may vary. In most cases, 3 to 6 sessions are required to declare an area completely “hair free.” There is an interval of between 4 to 6 weeks between treatments depending on the length of the hair growth cyce of the area being treated. The treatments may last for as little as 10 minutes, or up to an hour and a half, depending on the size of the area. Naturally, the back or your legs will take a lot longer than your upper lip or underarms.
The only way to know for certain exactly how long it will take is to make an appointment and come in for a consultation. When you’re here, you will learn even more about the procedure and see before and after photos of the kind of results you’re after.
Laser Hair Removal Care
Consistent laser hair removal can result in flawless, smooth skin. Aftercare can play an important role in getting the results you want! During laser hair removal, a laser is aimed at the hair follicles to slow down or prevent future hair growth. This is a non-invasive procedure, and any discomfort can vary depending on your tolerance. With that being said, it will just feel like an elastic band snap so the pain isn’t something to worry about too much!
Before your laser hair removal, you should shave the area (unlike most hair-removal techniques, laser hair removal doesn’t require any hair to be visible). If there is hair remaining, it may be signaled by the laser so it is best to remove any traces pre-treatment. Do not, however, wax, pluck, or use hair removal cream as this will make the treatment less effective. Shave only! You should also avoid direct sunlight, or any artificial tanning procedures. Going into your appointment, make sure you’re not wearing any cosmetics, deodorant, or skin cream on the area and dress in loose-fitting, comfortable clothes.
It’s important to follow these tips, as well as any additional instructions from your laser technician, after your treatment, in order to get the results you’d like!
- Do Not Pluck or Wax: If there are any remaining hairs in the treated area, resist removing them. This could actually stimulate regrowth. Leave them alone, and allow the treatment to do its work.
- Avoid Hot Water: No hot showers or baths for at least 48 hours after treatment!
- Exfoliate: Once all redness and sensitivity has subsided, exfoliate the treated area. Note that this could take up to two weeks.
- Avoid Sunlight: Keep the treated area out of direct sunlight for at least two to four weeks following treatment.
- Careful with Cosmetics: If you have had your underarms treated, you need to avoid deodorant for at least three days after treatment. For facial treatments, you may use mineral makeup after 48 hours, but any other cosmetics shouldn’t be used until the skin is fully healed.
- No Scratching: Don’t itch the treated area, as this can result in scarring.
- Avoid Exercise: Excessive exercise or sweating can cause irritation and should be avoided for 24-48 hours post-treatment.
These aftercare tips are all absolutely essential to giving you the results you want from your laser hair removal treatment! It’s important to be as gentle as possible with any area that has undergone the treatment. If you have any itching, redness, or discolouration, you can apply vitamin E to the area to encourage healing.
Will Laser Hair Removal Whiten The Underarms?
There is at least one benefit of laser hair removal for you underarms that you may not have considered – the fact that it can resolve darker pigmentation in your underarms. This will ensure that your underarms aren’t excessively darker than the skin on the rest of your body.
How laser hair removal resolves dark armpits
When you get laser hair removal, the process won’t just remove hair — it also clears away stubble and ingrown hairs, which will leave your armpits looking much lighter than would otherwise be the case. The procedure can fix the problem of dark armpits for the long-term, something that neither shaving or waxing can ever do.
Indeed, laser hair removal can lighten your armpits even as it painlessly gets rid of unwanted hair in the armpit region.